Director of Finance and Operations at the California Council on Science & Technology (CCST)
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. The cover letter should be page 1 of your resume and sent as one PDF. The letter should specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position, your particular skills and experience directly related to this position, and how you learned about the job opportunity.
California’s most pressing public policy issues require solutions that engage the State’s extraordinary research and innovation enterprise. CCST is a nonpartisan nonprofit created via the California Legislature in 1988 to provide objective advice from California’s leading scientists and research institutions on policy issues involving science and technology (S&T). Despite California’s rich intellectual capital and long tradition of crafting future-facing policies, structural barriers prevent its policymakers from readily accessing the S&T expertise in research institutions resident in the state. CCST works with a range of government, research, and philanthropic partners to build more agile, inclusive, and impactful S&T advisory frameworks; elevatepolicymaker awareness of the S&T contributions of California’s research institutions; and foster a more diverse and inclusive network of S&T-savvy policy leaders.
The pillars of our organizational identity, our core values of service, independence, and partnership are anchored in our foundational commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- SERVICE. We are driven by a desire to use science and technology to inform California’s public policies for the benefit of all We identify priorities and we respond when called upon, connecting scientific and technical experts across our diverse network with policymakers to help our partners fulfill their missions.
- INDEPENDENCE. We are nonpartisan and nongovernmental. We are not beholden to the perspectives or agenda of any singular institution or political platform. We are honest brokers of the knowledge and perspectives of a broad range of experts and communities.
- PARTNERSHIP. We thrive on collaboration, building lasting and inclusive relationships with academic, research, governmental, philanthropic, and other communities. We leverage the collective strength of our partners to fulfill our mission, working across institutions, expertise, perspectives, and geography.
Director of Finance and Operations Job Duties:
CCST is at a pivotal moment in its history as an organization as we grow our team, transform the way we deliver our science advisory services to California, and apply a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) lens to all of our operations and programs. Guided by CCST’s new strategic plan, the Director of Finance and Operations will play a key role in our next phase of growth. As the Director of Finance and Operations for CCST, you will provide oversight for the organization’s primary business operations, including finance and accounting, human resources, and IT for a staff of 12 as well as 15 CCST Science Fellows. You coordinate with Insperity, the professional employment organization that administers CCST’s benefits, payroll and human resources, as well as direct the work of the HR and Bookkeeping Associate. Revenue and forecasting oversight includes ensuring accurate month-end and year-end close and reporting, delivering forward-looking financial guidance and analysis, managing funder contracts, overseeing gift processing and day-to-day transactional accounting, and participating in meetings with organizational leadership to offer insights and data to support business decisions. In addition, in this position you will provide leadership for overall business operation functions, with the dedicated support of the HR and Bookkeeping Associate.
Financial Leadership & Reporting
- Perform monthly and quarterly financial dashboards including development and calculation of appropriate financial information, ratio analysis and monthly financial reports, communicating results and analysis to Executive Director on a regular basis.
- Provide recommendations based on cost models and financial analysis – specifically regarding income on contracts and revenue streams.
- Participate in leadership team meetings, offering financial insights to assist in making business decisions.
- Monitor cash balances and perform cash flow projections and planning.
- Prepare financial information including budget, budget-to-actual monitoring, contract and grant requirements, and other financial dashboards necessary to support the overall strategic plan, taxes, and audit requirements.
- Manage funding contracts and ensure that financial reports required by funders are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Oversee the gift processing function, ensuring accurate revenue recording and timely gift acknowledgements.
- Provide input to contract development and oversee contract management including office space lease agreement.
- Oversight or preparation of month-end close and monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and operating reports, including audit, Investment Management Committee and Board reporting.
- Serve as staff lead to the Board Finance Committee and Investment Management Committee.
Transactional Accounting: Oversee the work of the HR and Bookkeeping Associate
- Oversight of accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
- Oversight and independent review of payroll runs (through a third-party provider).
- Oversight of accrued leave balances.
- Oversight of all credit card receipts and monthly reconciliations.
Human Resources and Operations
- In coordinate with Insperity, the professional employment organization that administers CCST’s benefits, payroll and human resources, lead the response to all of CCST’s HR needs.
- Support vision of the company by leading initiatives that better the workplace culture, morale, personal development, and advance CCST’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) goals.
- Provide proactive and strategic advice to inform and oversee all operational aspects of CCST’s work including lease agreements, office space and return to work plans as well as any other workspace needs.
- Liaison for 403(b) retirement plan and contributions, medical insurance and other benefits.
- Maintain up-to-date schedule of all employees.
- Manage all insurance, regulatory and risk management coverages including working with third-party vendors, periodic evaluation of costs, and price quote shopping.
- Lead and oversee CCST policies and legal compliance regarding human resources, personnel regulations, and nonprofit status, including updating employee handbook as needed and consulting with third-party HR representatives when required.
- Oversee and ensure timely completion of employee reviews and merit evaluations.
- Lead employee recruitment, retention, and professional development efforts.
- Ensure a functional workspace and technology for all employees; oversee technology upgrades and ensure that technical support is provided when required.
A successful Director of Finance and Operations will think creatively and work collaboratively with the CCST leadership team to implement CCST’s new strategic plan and achieve CCST’s ambitious goals. The Director will bring revenue and operations leadership and insights to the organization. The Director will successfully balance the strategic components of the role with oversight of the day-to-day operations, as well as build on CCST’s inclusive culture and efficiently deliver financial and HR advice to leadership to assist in making business and personnel decisions.
Director of Finance and Operations – Required:
- 4-year BA/BS degree (accounting, finance or related business degree)
- Prior experience in a revenue management role including budgeting, forecasting, projections, cash flow, providing a dashboard of financial information to leadership
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) accounting including financial statement preparation and month-end close procedures
- Demonstrated understanding of all functions within accounting and finance department including transactional accounting (accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll) and financial analysis and budget preparation functions.
- Experience developing and overseeing operational and HR functions of an organization including DEI efforts, staff evaluations, lease negotiations, employee handbook development, professional development, etc.
Director of Finance and Operations – Desired, Not Required:
- Prior experience in accounting for grants, endowments and contracts
- Prior experience working with California State Government Contracts, Master Service Agreement contracts (MSAs) or reviewing large contracts
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA) or MBA
- Experience working with QuickBooks accounting software
- Experience with 990 tax preparation or schedule preparation
This position reports directly to the Executive Director and is supported by an external accounting firm and the HR and Bookkeeping Associate.
You will be provided with a comprehensive benefits package including insurance for you and your family, generous paid time off and employer-funded 403(b) retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed as received and continued to be accepted until July 30th.
The California Council on Science and Technology is an equal opportunity employer. We make hiring decisions based on qualifications, merit, and our organization’s business needs. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, pregnancy, or any such status protected under federal, state, or local law.